top of page

Port Perry Lumberjacks lose two high-scoring games

DAN CEARNS The Standard

Despite losing their last two games, the Port Perry Lumberjacks’ strength in those games was goal scoring.

The Lumberjacks opened this past week’s action with a game in Lakefield against the Chiefs on Tuesday, October 10th.

Just 13 seconds into the first period, Johannes Kalm scored, giving Port Perry an early 1-0 lead. Eight minutes later, Andrew Naccarato-Soule extended the lead to 2-0 with a goal. After the Chiefs scored to cut the lead a minute later, Kyle Bailey restored the two-goal lead with his own goal. But, two quick Chiefs goals late in the period tied the game 3-3.

11 minutes into the second period, the Chiefs put the puck past goaltender Vann Kulba again, putting the Lumberjacks behind in the game for the first time 4-3. Seven and a half minutes later, Charlie Paton scored his first goal of the season to make it a 4-4 game. However, the Chiefs would score again with just five seconds left in the frame, and Port Perry trailed 5-4 after 40 minutes of play.

About a minute and a half into the third period, Cole Papageorgiou put the puck in the net, tying the game at 5-5. Two minutes later, the Chiefs restored their lead again with a goal. Then, six and a half minutes into the period, David Durbano capitalized on a Lumberjacks power play to make it a 6-6 game. But, 30 seconds before the halfway mark of the period, the Chiefs scored what would end up being the game winning goal. The Lumberjacks lost by a score of 7-6.

The Lumberjacks looked for some redemption when they hosted the Georgina Ice at Scugog Arena on Sunday, October 15th.

Both teams were deadlocked until late in the first period. With just under three and a half minutes remaining on the first period clock, the Ice were able to put the puck past goaltender Gavin Bradt. The Lumberjacks trailed 1-0 after the first 20 minutes of the game.

Three consecutive goals from the Ice in the second period added to the Lumberjacks deficit, which then stood at 4-0. A well used timeout from the Lumberjacks coaching staff seemed to breathe new life into the team after giving up the fourth goal though. 15 and a half minutes into the period, Parker Lemay received a pass from David Durbano and deposited the puck in the net, cutting the deficit to 4-1.

Three and a half minutes into the third period, Kyle Bailey shot the puck past the right arm of the Georgina goaltender, making it a 4-2 game. A little over three minutes later, Lemay wrapped the puck into the left side of the Georgina net, and Port Perry only trailed by one goal. But, that was as close as the Lumberjacks got, as the Ice held on to defeat them 4-3.

One Timers:

- The Lumberjacks have a busy weekend ahead. This Saturday, October 21st they face the Little Britain Merchants in Little Britain. That game will begin at 7:30 p.m.

- On Sunday, October 22nd, the Lumberjacks host their North Durham rival, the Uxbridge Bruins at Scugog Arena. That game gets underway at 2:25 p.m.

11 views0 comments
bottom of page