top of page

MoJacks offense on full display despite losses

DAN CEARNS The Standard

SCUGOG: The Port Perry MoJacks lost a few high scoring games this past week. After suffering a close 7 to 6 overtime loss at the hands of the Lakefield Chiefs on Tuesday, November 19th, Port Perry’s schedule didn’t get any easier with a matchup against the Amherstview Jets on Saturday, November 23rd. The Jets were on top first in the game, holding a 2 to 0 at the halfway point of the first period. But, over 12 minutes in, Noah Donaghy scored, cutting the deficit in half 2 to 1. But the Jets added another goal late in the period, and the MoJacks trailed 3 to 1 after the first buzzer. Just 36 seconds into the second frame, Port Perry’s deficit got larger with another Amherstview goal. However, less than five minutes later, recent MoJack acquisition Kurt Gibbs put the puck in the net, making it a 4 to 2 game. But it only took 34 seconds for Amherstview to answer back with a goal, putting the MoJacks behind a three goal deficit again. A minute and a half later, Kolby Fralic scored, making the score 5 to 3. With over four minutes left on the clock, the Jets put the puck past MoJack goalie Nicholas Dicks again. However, less than three minutes later, Carter Thornton responded with a goal, and the score was 6 to 4. But, at the very last second of the period, the Jets struck again. Despite a strong effort, there were no goals in the third period, and Amherstview defeated Port Perry 7 to 4. The action was just as competitive at Scugog Arena on Sunday, November 24th, in a game against the Little Britain Merchants. Over three minutes into the first period, the MoJacks opened the scoring with a goal from Nick Chokrev-Cerpnjak. Less than three minutes later, with Port Perry on the penalty kill, Spencer Robinson stole the puck from a Merchants defender, putting himself on a shorthanded breakaway towards the Little Britain zone and he scored, making it a 2 to 0 game. With eight and a half minutes remaining on the clock, Justin Jacobs shot the puck through the legs of the Merchants goalie and into the net, increasing the MoJacks’ lead to 3 to 0. But the Merchants struck twice late in the period, and Port Perry escaped the first frame with a one-goal lead. Port Perry’s lead totally evaporated over four and a half minutes into the second period, with another Little Britain shot making its way past Corey Kuypers, tying the game 3 to 3. Almost nine minutes into the period though, Port Perry restored their one-goal lead with a shorthanded goal from Owen Hurtibese. But the Merchants tied the game again 24 seconds later 4 to 4, with a power play goal. But a nice passing play led to a Spencer Robinson power play goal with six and a half minutes left on the second period clock, and the MoJacks later headed into the intermission up 5 to 4. But Little Britain scored three goals in the third period, including an empty net goal, and the MoJacks fell 7 to 5.

One Timers: -The MoJacks will look to end a five game winless drought against the Clarington Eagles at the Garnet B. Rickard complex on Thursday, November 28th at 7:20 p.m. – Port Perry’s next home game is this Sunday, December 1st at 2:25 p.m. against the Campbellford Rebels.

3 views0 comments


bottom of page