top of page

That Place on Cameron damaged in New Year's fire



DAN CEARNS The Standard


KAWARTHA LAKES: A fire damaged a Fenelon Falls business on New Year’s Day, Monday, January 1st.

According to Kawartha Lakes Fire Chief Terry Jones, a fire was reported at ‘That Place on Cameron,’ located at 16 Oriole Road, at 12:21 a.m. Firefighters were on scene, minutes later, at 12:30 a.m. The response included firefighters and equipment from the Fenelon, Cameron, and Coboconk stations.

Chief Jones stated, the fire “was under control by 1:38 a.m. and loss [was] stopped at 2:37 a.m.” No injuries were reported from this incident. Damages are estimated at $800,000.

“The cause of the fire is still undetermined at this time, but it is possible it started due to a faulty propane fireplace,” Chief Jones told The Standard.

The Kawartha Lakes Fire Service has several safety recommendations for residents, following this incident, including: Keep anything which can burn at least one metre away from furnaces, baseboard heaters, woodstoves and fireplaces; Make sure you have working carbon monoxide alarms outside sleeping areas in your home; Get regular maintenance on your heating equipment from a qualified professional; and put ashes into a metal bucket far from combustible materials to cool down.

37 views0 comments
bottom of page