Show your heart some love
“Movement for life” by Lauren Walker, All Fit/All Ages Gym
Being that I am writing this column around Valentine’s Day, I thought I’d share the love. If being on break has taught us anything, it’s the value of health and wellness. We take for granted what our heart does for us.
Here are my top three reasons why we need to show our heart some love this year:
1) Exercise Lowers Blood Pressure: Exercise works like beta-blocker medication to slow the heart rate and lower blood pressure. This happens at rest or when exercising.
2) Exercise is vital to weight control: Excess weight stresses the heart. It increases the likelihood of heart disease and stroke.
3) Exercise Lowers Stress: Stress is a precursor to major health problems. Aerobic and strength training exercises help to ease your mind and body.
Taking the time to move every day is a great start. It doesn’t have to be excessive by any means.
Here are a few ways you can get started:
1) Take a walk: Anyone can do it! Take a twenty-minute jaunt at lunch. Gradually work up your time and increase the distance as time and schedule allow.
2) Take the Stairs: Whether you’re at home or work. Make an effort to go up and down the stairs. It’s weight-bearing and more challenging for the hips. Start small and practice three times a day.
3) Eat well: Nutrition is a key factor in long-term success. Make small changes to your diet. For example, I drink carbonated water, which has different flavours, such as root beer and cream soda. If you tend to drink pop, these are excellent substitutions.
These are easy ways to get started, to show your heart some love.
From my heart to yours! [/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]