top of page

Burning permits available for 2022

COURTNEY McCLURE, for The Standard

NORTH DURHAM: You can apply for an April 2022 burning permit on the Township of Scugog website.

The Township’s Open Air By-Law regulates burning throughout the Scugog Township and community. There are also many burning categories, including, but not limited to, recreational, agricultural and specialty burning.

Each year, this burn ban is put into place to give dead grass and brush time to turn green again. During this time, the ground may stay saturated or frozen, so new green growth hasn’t had time to form. That means dead vegetation can easily catch fire, and the fire can spread rapidly.

“This ban is important for the protection of people, property and first responders,” wrote the Township.

People who have a fire during a burn ban can face charges. This is included under the Provincial Offences Act and under Part 4 Enforcement and Penalties of the Open-Air Burning By-law 32-18. Open-Air Fire permits will not be issued to residents living within: the urban area of Port Perry, a hamlet, or a similar residential cluster, according to the Township.

However, the Township would like residents to note, as per the Open-Air Burning By-Law, wood and brush can be burned.

General burning sites must include the following, the area must: be 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 ft deep in size, have an extinguisher nearby, and be monitored by a capable adult. The burning must be done between 30 minutes after sunrise and 30 minutes before sunset.

There are a few guidelines which apply to the recreational burn site. The base size of your burn site must be ‘no bigger’ than 60 centimetres in diameter. The fire must be at least 5 metres away from structures, trailers and flammable sources, including trees, especially those with low branches. Your fire must be extinguished before midnight.

You cannot burn anything which can be collected by the municipal garbage, blue box or yard waste collection programs. This includes, but is not limited to, plastic, rubber and household garbage.

If you must file a ‘burn complaint’, the Township of Scugog says to call 9-1-1. This will reach their dispatch services, and your concerns will be addressed accordingly.

For more information, you can email or call 905-985-2384. For more information about burn bans, please visit the Township of Scugog’s website, at

You can find further information about burning and permits beneath the Live and Play heading at the top of the website.

6 views0 comments


bottom of page