top of page

Letter to the editor – Carbon Monoxide awareness week

Dear Editor,

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week starts November 1st:

Is YOUR Family Safe?

Carbon monoxide is called the Silent Killer because you cannot see, taste or smell it. It comes from appliances and equipment in your home such as an oil or natural gas furnace, water heater or stove, wood or gas fireplace, propane generator or kerosene lantern installed improperly or not maintained.

Low levels of CO exposure can make a person feel like they have the flu without the fever. High concentrations can kill. I am reminded of this reality every day because four of my family members died from carbon monoxide poisoning a decade ago. The pain of that loss never ends. Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week begins November 1st. Watch your mailbox for educational pamphlets, and I urge you to take these two simple steps to keep your family safe:

Get an annual inspection of all your fuel-burning appliances by a TSSA-certified technician. Install and regularly test approved carbon monoxide alarms. It’s the law in Ontario.

Don’t let the Silent Killer harm YOUR family. Learn more at and

John Gignac Retired Fire Captain Executive Director, The Hawkins-Gignac Foundation for CO Education

2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Letter to the Editor - Sponsoring the Abandoned

What a wonderful evening of music Watoto brought to Hope Church, in Prince Albert, on June 20th. It was wonderful to see the sanctuary filled with people and everyone enjoying an evening of worship an


bottom of page