top of page

Bathroom fan causes fire at Scugog house

DAN CEARNS The Standard

SCUGOG: A Scugog house at the corner of Old Simcoe Road and Highway 7A was damaged by fire on Tuesday, March 3rd. Firefighters were called to a home, at 14995 Old Simcoe Road, in Port Perry at 11:33 a.m. “When the fire broke through into the house so to speak, or the smoke or the remnants of the fire, the smoke alarms went off right away and alerted the occupants. So it’s a great example of how effective working smoke alarms on every level of the house is,” Scugog Fire Chief, Mark Berney, told The Standard. There were no injuries, and damage to the home was reportedly “minimal.” It took firefighters about an hour to put out the fire. The fire chief explained how the fire started. “We’re pretty confident the origin and cause was a bathroom fan,” Chief Berney said. One ambulance and members of Durham Region Police were also at the scene as firefighters worked to put out the fire.

2 views0 comments


bottom of page