DARRYL KNIGHT The Standard
SCUGOG: A Valentine's Day fire caused the temporary closure of the Great Blue Heron Charity Casino on Scugog Island.
According to Scugog Fire Chief Richard Miller, the fire began on the morning of Friday, Feb. 14 in a utility room at the casino, caused by ice falling from the casino's roof.
"It turned out to be a broken propane pipe coming into the building caused by ice falling off the roof," Chief Miller told The Standard.
Chief Miller added that the casino's sprinkler system doused the fire, and Scugog fire crews remained at the scene for approximately five hours to ensure it was safe for the casino to resume business later in the day.
"We were working at getting any hot spots, and ensuring that the fire was completely out," added Chief Miller.
After a temporary closure, the Great Blue Heron re-opened for business at around 6 p.m.
Chief Miller pegged the cost of damage caused by the fire at approximately $10,000.
We reserve the right to remove any and all comments for any reason. Comments with swearing will be deleted without exception.