SAM ODROWSKI The Standard
UXBRIDGE: The third annual Defeat Depression Walk is happening in Uxbridge on June 11th, to help raise money for local mental health services.
Individuals and teams, who have fundraised for the walk, have already raised 85 per cent of their $5,000 goal. 25 per cent of the funds raised at the walk will go towards the organization behind the event, Mood Disorders Society of Canada. The other 75 per cent of the funds will go towards Ontario Shores, the closest place to Uxbridge, where people struggling with a mental illness can go for treatment.
The event coordinator for the walk, Carly McDougall says Ontario Shores was an important part of her recovery after she experienced a mental breakdown in 2014.
“Ontario Shores was a huge help, in terms of getting me my diagnosis of Bipolar 2, seeing a psychiatrist, seeing social workers, and getting into see a therapist, they were really instrumental in my recovery,” Ms. McDougall said.
This year, walk organizers are anticipating around a hundred people, last year they didn’t have the biggest crowd, due to weather conditions.
“This year we have a big committee, so we are expecting a couple hundred people,” Ms. McDougall said
The walk will begin with speeches relating to mental health, and a fitness warmup. The first 50 walkers will receive loot bags, containing Olives and Grace gourmet lollipops among other goodies.
To donate to the walk please visit www.uxbridge.defeatdepression.ca and click donate or sponsor a participant in the walk. Donations of $25 or greater will receive a tax receipt.
The Walk is estimated to be 20 to 30 minutes long and will start at 1:30, in the Uxbridge Countryside Preserve, behind the Walmart on Welwood Drive.
We reserve the right to remove any and all comments for any reason. Comments with swearing will be deleted without exception.