Aging at home is a viable option for many seniors. According to a recent survey, nearly 90 per cent of seniors want to “age in place.” Here are some reasons why the choice has many psychological and health advantages for seniors and any loved ones who care for them.
1. Keep up a normal routine. Living at home allows the freedom to maintain independence longer and stay engaged with normal daily activities, including regular interaction and companionship with family and community.
2. Receive individualized care. Making adjustments to one's daily life can be very stressful and upsetting for seniors. But those who choose to age in place often just need to put supports in place, such as home modifications and personalized home care with customized services based on preferences and needs.
3. Family members aren't overwhelmed. Home care is usually provided by home health aides, licensed caregivers, nurses, or friends and family. Sharing the caregiver responsibility is integral in preventing caregiver fatigue and offers your loved one companionship when you are not able to be there.
4. Lower risk of illness. In addition to improving quality of life, home care often helps extend life by eliminating stressors associated with aging in a senior care facility. In-home care can reduce the risk of catching illnesses, such as colds and flus, which spread quickly in a seniors' facility. Home care can also speed up recovery, as a familiar environment is best for healing both mind and body.
5. Balancing everyone's needs. With care and support in their own home, seniors can maintain their independence and lifestyle, while the family has peace of mind, knowing they are safe and being well cared for.