DAN CEARNS The Standard
SCUGOG: Local resident Jim Moore was recognized by Scugog council for his bravery in helping to save a Scugog family and their animals from a house fire.
“On the morning of December 30th, 2016, at approximately 6:30 a.m., Mr. Moore was travelling west along Shirley Rd. en route to Whitby when he encountered, quote, unquote, ‘oncoming vehicles appearing through a wall of smoke.’ Mr. Moore stopped in front of 1911 Shirley Rd. and proceeded to find the livestock pen on fire. He immediately called 911 to report the fire,” Scugog Fire Chief Mark Berney told those in attendance. “With assistance, the livestock pen was forced open and the animals herded away from what would have been certain death. But, by this time, the fire had spread to the attached garage and was now threatening the dwelling.”
According to Chief Berney, after that, Mr. Moore attempted to alert the residents by banging on windows and finding an open door and yelling “fire, fire.”
“He successfully aroused the people in the dwelling, and within seconds the residents were out of the house and safe.”
Mayor Tom Rowett thanked Mr. Moore for his “exemplary efforts” by giving him a certificate of appreciation.
We reserve the right to remove any and all comments for any reason. Comments with swearing will be deleted without exception.