DAN CEARNS The Standard
SCUGOG: A Manchester property owner will be receiving a bill of at least $5,000 from the Scugog Fire Department after a recent barn fire got out of hand.
A crew was working to demolish a barn at 910 Regional Rd. 21, on Thursday, July 16. They were burning a pile of wood that exceeded their burn permit size at the time the fire got out of control, Scugog Fire Chief Richard Miller told The Standard. Fire crews were called to the scene at around 9 a.m.
“Unfortunately the contractors made the pile bigger than they should have and they lit it and that is why we were called,” he said.
The Chief added that the property owner had a special permit for an oversized burn of up to five cubic metres.
The fire department has not yet calculated what the total amount of the fine will be. Chief. Miller also added that there was no damage to the property as it was a barn demolition.
We reserve the right to remove any and all comments for any reason. Comments with swearing will be deleted without exception.