DAN CEARNS The Standard
SCUGOG: People will once again have an opportunity to support those living with ALS, when the Durham Region Walk for ALS returns to Port Perry this Saturday, June 18.
Over the past nine years, the annual charity walk has raised $800,323 to support families living with ALS in the region, as well as funding ALS research, and organizer Heather Beacock hopes to add significantly to that this year.
“It’s been amazing, the support in Durham has flourished in the last five years,” Ms. Beacock said.”The walk has gained recognition and people want to come to Durham to support our walk.”
From the funds raised, 70 per cent goes to ALS families living in Durham Region, while the other 30 per cent will fund future ALS research. Director of Research Dr. David Taylor will speak at the opening ceremonies.
Ms. Beacock said that there has been a lot of research focus on familial ALS of late.
“Research has come a long way, and Canada is one of the leaders for research of ALS,” she said.
ALS or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is a progressive neurodegenerative disease. Nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that control muscle movement, die. ALS robs patients of their ability to walk, talk, swallow, and eventually breathe. In Canada, 2 to 3 people are diagnosed with ALS everyday. ALS is difficult to diagnose. Often times, It is diagnosed by ruling out other diseases. There is currently no cure.
The walk will be held at the Port Perry Fairgrounds. Registration will take place starting at 8:30 a.m. at the entertainment shelter, and the hour long walk will begin at 10 a.m. Ms. Beacock estimated that 400 to 500 people have participated each year. People can walk, bike or take their dog.
Ms. Beacock would like to thank local sponsors Mr. Sub, Zen Fit and Lukes at Home.
For more information on the walk, go on-line to www.walkforals.ca or e-mail Ms. Beacock at email@example.com
We reserve the right to remove any and all comments for any reason. Comments with swearing will be deleted without exception.