DAN CEARNS The Standard
SCUGOG: A fundraising campaign to help a local family that lost their Prince Albert home in a fire was recently launched on-line.
The fire started on Thursday, March 10 around 1:45 a.m. at a residence at 1370 King St. A family of four that was renting the home, identified as Katie Hunter and Colin Ritchie as well as their two children, made it out safely, but lost most of their personal belongings.
Deputy Fire Chief Rob Gonnermann told The Standard that when firefighters arrived, there were “flames coming out of the kitchen window and dark smoke coming out of the eaves.” He also estimated that the fire caused over $450,000 in damages.
The Deputy Chief said that overloaded circuits and improper fuses were determined as causes of the fire. He also said that there was no evidence of working smoke alarms in the residence.
Local resident Jay Moriarty, a friend of the family, started the fundraising campaign on Gofundme. He said that this is a family that is truly deserving of the community’s help.
“Everybody who knows them, knows how hard they were trying to get ahead,” he said. “This is a family that would do anything for anyone who needed help.”
He added that the family was unable to get rental insurance for the home.
TO BE CONTINUED
We reserve the right to remove any and all comments for any reason. Comments with swearing will be deleted without exception.