DAN CEARNS The Standard
SCUGOG: A family pet has died and a Scugog Island residence suffered about $300,000 in damages, after a fire on the afternoon of Tuesday, October 10th.
According to Scugog Fire Chief Mark Berney, a fire at a home at 266 Carnegie Beach Rd., started around 4:30 p.m.
“We believe the cause to be an electrical appliance failure in the kitchen,” Chief Berney told The Standard.
He added the fire was “contained relatively quickly.”
“It had burned down, prior to our arrival, through a lack of oxygen. It did burn down fairly significantly. It was contained fairly quickly and then the guys went right into an overhaul and investigation mode.”
Chief Berney also offered his condolences to the family living in the home for the loss of their pet dog.
“It was unfortunate that the family’s pet dog was lost in the fire. From what I’ve been led to believe, the pet was a family hero and my sympathy goes out to the family in their loss.”
Total damages were estimated to be about $300,000.
“That’s a combination of building loss and content loss,” Chief Berney said.
The week of the fire, was fire prevention week, and Chief Berney stressed the importance of having working smoke alarms on every level of a residence.
“This year’s theme is ‘Two Ways Out.’ But ‘Two Ways Out’ is only as good as your early notification that perhaps a fire is happening within your home and you do that through smoke alarms,” he said. “Smoke alarms on every level of the home is a requirement of the province of Ontario and I would challenge people to go beyond that. Put them in every bedroom, put them in every room.”
We reserve the right to remove any and all comments for any reason. Comments with swearing will be deleted without exception.