DARRYL KNIGHT The Standard
UXBRIDGE: Councillors recently rejected a request for a letter of no objection to a proposed medical marijuana facility in the township and have asked municipal staff to begin work on a policy relating to medical marijuana businesses.
At their meeting on the evening of Monday, Sept. 22, councillors denied a request for a letter of no objection made by CannaCare, a business which had sought to set up a 16,000 square foot medical marijuana growing facility on a 10-acre parcel of land on Davis Dr.
This was the second such application to come before council this year after councillors supported a proposed operation on Durham Rd. 30 earlier this year. As of press time, the application for that facility is still awaiting approval from Health Canada.
Several councillors took issue with the size of land in question for the proposed CannaCare facility.
“I’m not opposed to the facility itself, I’m opposed to its location on a 10-acre parcel with a building far larger than in the other application,” said Ward 3 Councillor Pat Mikuse.
Ward 2 Councillor Pat Molloy added that there are “substantial differences between the two plans. I don’t think I’d ever want one of these facilities on anything smaller than 100 acres. We have to be careful where we’re going to put these.”
In a recorded vote, councillors voted unanimously to deny CannaCare a letter of no objection.
With two applications already received, and several inquires made, Mayor Gerri Lynn O’Connor sought to have guidelines established by the township when dealing with this new type of agribusiness.
“We have supported one facility, but I’m a bit hesitant about supporting others regardless of who is putting forward the application because we haven’t seen all the ramifications should they get a licence,” commented Mayor O’Connor. “I’m against any others until we get one in place and can see any consequences we may not have thought of. This is a new territory for all of us.”
Many councillors agreed that minimum standards should be put in place. As well, township planning consultant Liz Howson added that such measures would aid township staff when dealing with potential applicants.
BENJAMIN PRIEBE The Standard
SCUGOG: Port Perry’s leg of the Canadian Cancer Society Relay For Life has been cancelled this year, after organizers saw a decline in participation.
According to Ms. Kendra Chopcian, Manager of the Canadian Cancer Society’s Durham Region Office, the decision was difficult, but necessary.
“Our planning committee and local organizers looked over the numbers, and unfortunately had to make the call to focus our efforts elsewhere,” said Ms. Chopcian. “We are contacting everyone who registered to see if they want to transfer to a different relay, or keep their pledges until next year.”
The alternate event will be the Campbellford Relay For Life, which takes place at the Campbellford Fairgrounds on Sept. 5.
“We are thankful for the support of the Agricultural Committee and Scugog Township, who supported the organization and allowed us to use the Port Perry Fairgrounds,” added Ms. Chopcian. “We hope that next year we can bring it back - but we need to review the numbers.”
For further information, please visit the Canadian Cancer Society’s Relay For Life website at www.convio.cancer.ca/site/PageServer?pagename=RFL_CAN_NATL_homepage.