This past Saturday, The Toronto Maple Leafs won the 2016 NHL Draft lottery, insuring they get to pick first overall in this Summer’s NHL Draft. The leafs are widely speculated to draft Team USA alumni, Auston Matthews first overall, addressing their need for a first line center and the first time the Leafs will be picking first overall since they chose Wendel Clark back in 1985.
In terms of odds, the Leafs had a 20 percent chance at first overall. That leaves an 80 percent chance that they would pick lower. I and many Leaf fans know never to get our hopes up with this team. I was fully expecting and prepared to hear that the Leafs will be drafting fourth overall. I was completely blown away that we actually won first overall.
This season couldn’t have gone better for our Maple Leafs. The front office shipped out dead weight and huge contracts, brought up a group full of young prospects to fill in the gaps and start their development, all while finishing dead last in the league and playing hockey that was worth watching.
Another change of fortune came in the from of the Toronto Raptors finally winning a seven game series and advancing past the first round of the playoffs. It looked shaky at times, but somehow the Raptors used an entire team effort to drag them into the second round. Our two MVP’s, Demar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry did struggle in the series, but other role players such as JV, Bismack Biyombo, Cory Joseph, and Norm Powell stepped up huge to help their struggling teammates. Finally, the first round monkey is off the back of the Raptors and maybe this series win will calm them down and help Demar and Kyle get back to their regular season numbers.
Now, I know the Blue Jays have been off to a rough start, but they did have a deep playoff run last year after over 20 years of mediocrity, so they get a pass for now. Even Toronto FC, who finally made it into the playoffs last year (albeit short) have been off to a good start playing away from BMO field for the first 8 games of the season due to renovations. They return home this Saturday to play FC Dallas. It is sure to be a great atmosphere... now that the city has reason to cheer.