DAN CEARNS The Standard
The Uxbridge Chamber Choir performed a concert at Trinity United Church in Uxbridge on Sunday, March 26th.
DAN CEARNS The Standard
SCUGOG: Back by popular demand, Port Perry will again have the exceptional opportunity to experience the world-class Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra, with an all new program for 2017. Tafelmusik brings a century of Canadian history to life with Visions and Voyages: Canada 1663-1763, a stunning new multimedia program. Superb baroque music, dance, lighting design, scripted text, and spectacular projected images create the kind of immersive concert experience for which Tafelmusik is world-renowned. There will be a separate performance in the afternoon for our local students, as part of Tafelmusik’s continuing education sessions.
Sun Life Financial and the Scugog Council for the Arts are pleased to present this evening concert, at the Hope Church, 14480 Old Simcoe Road in Prince Albert, on Friday March 31st, 2017 at 7:00pm. Advance tickets are $25 and available through the SCA,at www.scugogarts.ca. Any remaining tickets will be offered at the door. Doors open at 6:30pm.
For more information contact the SCA at 905-982-2121 or check the website, www.scugogarts.ca
SHIRLEY LOVE Special to The Standard
The opening date for the first meeting of this season is March 14th. We will be meeting the second Tuesday, which give us an extra week for the weather to improve. We meet at 6:30 p.m. with a pot-luck supper, and speaker is Conrad Richter of Richter Herbs.
Our celebratory evening will be held at our April 4th meeting. There will be a display of memorabilia, dignitaries, founding members and an anniversary cake.
There are still seats available for Canada Blooms on March 16th. The theme for the show is Canada's 150th and I am sure there will be many lovely displays depicting this.
Cost is $50.00, which gives you entry to Canada Blooms, Bus fare and admittance to the National Home Show. Seats are going fast, so call Brenda Jones to book, at 905-986-1539.
Please join us at the Nestleton Hall Hwy. 7A, Nestleton, for a very sociable and informative evening. All will be most welcomed. For more information contact Shirley, atmailto:email@example.com.
SCUGOG: A plan for a music festival, at Port Perry’s fairgrounds to celebrate Canada’s 150th, took a step forward on Tuesday, February 21st, as Council has decided to extend the length of the event and to secure, in principle, a professional event coordinator.
At the special council meeting, Councillors went through the minutes of the Canada 150 Music Festival Advisory Committee’s February 15th meeting and made multiple decisions. One of those was to change the festival from a one day concert to a three day event. The event will now run from Friday, June 30th until Sunday, July 2nd.
“The fact is that the expense that is being incurred is for the three day event, so to not operate on Friday, Saturday and Sunday would be a true waste of taxpayers money,” Ward 3 Councillor Don Kett said.
Ward 5 Councillor Jennifer Back explained that the stage, speakers and the tent are booked for three days.
“Those will be there for the three days, and you wouldn’t want to have that unattended. You wouldn’t want to have liability to the township, if kids were up there destroying it, vandalizing or what not,” she said. “To have an event on the Saturday and the Sunday, you have many eyes there and obviously you wouldn’t have people just jumping on the stage and doing damage.”
However, Regional Councillor Bobbie Drew stated her concern with changing the length of the event.
“It seems to me there was a business case that showed that this Friday night event could be a profit making venture, and I don’t know what’s happened since then,” she said. “This is precisely why this should have been started well over a year ago, for an event of this nature. I think we would be better off just keeping it at the Friday night.”
Councillor Drew also expressed her concern about the possibility of the committee exceeding the $70,000 the Township allocated for the event.
“Now we have $70,000 invested in this. There’s quite a bit of money already for entertainment and if you’re hiring bands for Saturday, you’re going to be well over your $70,000,” she said.
Councillor Back responded, reiterating that it makes financial sense to extend the event.
“To appease Councillor Drew’s concerns of the $70,000 being paid back, it just makes fiscal sense to have two more days of gate ticketed revenue,” she said.
Council also approved a motion to secure, in principle, a professional event coordinator, with an upset limit of $15,000. The contract is subject to legal review and approval. The township is currently in negotiations with headline acts for the festival.