NORTH DURHAM: Teachers represented by the Elementary Teacher’s Federation of Ontario will be now returning to their normal duties as the union reached a tentative labour deal with the province and the Ontario Public School Board’s Association on Monday, Nov. 2.
This tentative deal now suspends work to rule action that has been ongoing in Ontario’s elementary schools since Monday, May 11. ETFO president Sam Hammond said in a press release that it was a long process, but it was worth it.
“This round of bargaining has been exceptionally lengthy and difficult, but in the end we achieved a tentative agreement that ETFO believes is fair and meets the needs of our members.”.
Education Minister Liz Sandals echoed that statement at a press conference on Monday evening.
“The process to get to the tentative agreement has not always been easy, but I want to thank everybody for coming together," she said.
The deal was planned to be presented to all ETFO members on the evening of Tuesday, Nov. 3
By press time, ETFO Durham president David Mastin could not comment on the deal as it had not yet been presented to members. However, he did say that if it is ratified, he would “hope that local talks would shift to become the focus.”
ETFO had been without a collective bargaining agreement since August of 2014. The Liberal Government previously threatened to dock elementary teachers’ pay if their work to rule continued after Sunday, Nov. 1.