DAN CEARNS The Standard
SCUGOG: Rehabilitation work on the Seagrave bridge is expected to begin this fall, as it was recently announced that the Township of Scugog will receive a provincial grant which will cover the majority of the costs for the project.
The announcement was made in front of the River St. bridge on Friday, March 2nd. In total, the grant the Township will receive amounts to $945,585, which is 90 per cent of the cost of the project. The Township will fund the remaining 10 per cent, $105,065, through their Roads Levy.
“It’s something that is long overdue for a wonderful community, and it’s my community, so I know it’s good for businesses, good for the residents, and it’s good for the safety of the community overall,” MPP Granville Anderson told The Standard. “This project is going to revitalize Seagrave, it’s going to revitalize Scugog and it’s a great community investment.”
Ward 1 Councillor Betty Somerville said, in a press release, she was “happy to hear this news.”
“The bridge is a main connection for residents and is key for local business,” she said.
According to the Township’s press release, the rehabilitation work will include: installation of environmental controls, removal and replacement of the timber deck and deteriorated steel components, sandblasting and painting of the superstructure, concrete abutment and bridge seat repairs, and replacement of the guiderail and extruder.
Scugog Mayor Tom Rowett spoke about the importance of this project.
“It’s extremely important, because it is a secondary access around Simcoe St. Right now emergency vehicles can’t get around if there is an accident at the intersection into Seagrave,” he said, adding the provincial grant is “very significant for Scugog.”
He also stressed that Township staff, including, Director of Community Services, Carol Coleman, have been “working diligently” to make sure all of the studies for the project are done.
Seagrave’s bridge, bridge number 6, was closed in October after a structural analysis found it was no longer suitable for vehicle use.
We reserve the right to remove any and all comments for any reason. Comments with swearing will be deleted without exception.