DAN CEARNS The Standard
KAWARTHA LAKES: A large fire on Friday, July 22 has destroyed both the McLean’s Auction barn and the Clearing House store in Lindsay.
Kawartha Lakes Fire Services were called to the location, at 2194 Little Britain Rd., around 3 p.m. According to fire officials, the blaze started at the Clearing House, by discarded smoking materials, and then spread to the auction barn next door.
In addition to the two buildings, a shed on the property was also destroyed. The total value of the fire damage estimate is about $3.5 million.
According to District Chief Dave Kish; high winds, heat and the dry conditions made the fire difficult to put out. Five firefighters were sent to hospital for heat exhaustion.
District Chief Kish said everyone that was inside the structures at the time got out, however one Clearing House employee was injured after trying to put out the fire in the area of the loading dock.
The Ontario Fire Marshal’s office was called in to investigate.
District Chief Kish has a message for all smokers, regarding where they put their cigarettes and other smoking materials.
“Due to the weather conditions we are having, and even without the conditions, people need to be extra careful where they discard smoking materials,” he said.
The Kawartha Lakes Fire Rescue Service has recently increased the Fire Hazard Index to Extreme.
We reserve the right to remove any and all comments for any reason. Comments with swearing will be deleted without exception.