(NC) A new school year means a return to routine for many families, but it's important to start on a healthy note. But, healthier doesn't have to mean more expensive, so here are some solutions for parents who want to send their children to school with healthy meals on a healthy budget.
1. Plan, plan, plan. By taking advantage of extra time on the weekend, create a quick list and plan your meals in advance. A simple meal chart will also save a lot of time in the grocery store and the kitchen.
2. Quantity and quality. There's no shame in buying in bulk, as long as the food doesn't go to waste. When preparing your children's lunches for school, utilize all your ingredients to their fullest extent. Leftovers are your new best friend and super cost effective.
3. Be your own cook. Ordering in or purchasing fast food may be convenient at the time, especially during stressful times like back to school, but in the long run, being your own chef will pay off - literally.
4. Cut your grocery bill by cutting fresh produce. Buying fresh produce is a healthy way to get in vitamins and make sure the kids are eating well.
5. Save those points to splurge. You'll save when using a rewards-based credit card, like the President's Choice Financial World Elite Mastercard, which lets you earn three times the points toward free groceries. Reward your children at school with healthy lunches you picked up with your very own rewards points.
We reserve the right to remove any and all comments for any reason. Comments with swearing will be deleted without exception.